Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Happiness is a Loud Vacuum

My Kynzie is 3 weeks old today! These 21 days have gone by so quickly AND so slowly all at the same time. I cannot believe that she has been with me for three weeks already; yet I am having a hard time remembering life before her! Here's a picture I took this morning :)


So about a week ago Kynzie's digestive system decided that it didn't want to work as well as it had been -- meaning that she started to have bad gas!  (suddenly a little weirded out that I am blogging about gas...welcome to my life) We went one 24 hour period last week sleeping no more than an hour at a time.  And we pretty much cried the rest of the time. I say we because I am sorry to say that I didn't hold it together very well.  It is such a hurtful thing to watch your baby scream and have no way to fix it. James even came home in the middle of the day because I had called him sobbing. Then we realized: when KK toots or poops she all the sudden stops crying. What could this mean?? It took us longer than I want to admit before we connected the screaming with the pain of gas. But once we did we were on a mission!  I stopped eating broccoli, peanut butter, and milk automatically. This may not sound like a big deal but those are three of my all time favorite things to eat. But we read somewhere that those three things can give her stomach pains... We tried tummy massages also, but if I have pains I don't want anyone pushing on me, so I stopped that almost immediately. After several trial and error sessions, we finally discovered the key:

The Vacuum

Yeah, the vacuum is awesome! She will be screaming like crazy and then we flip the switch and she calms instantly.  It's as if she has a switch too, and it is inversely related to the vacuum!  Vacuum - ON.  Kynzie - OFF.  A-mazing! We also bought her some Mylicon (thank you Kay for that suggestion!!) and the combo of drops and the vacuum have made a much happier baby, and thus a much happier mommy!


This is clearly a short-term fix, mostly because eventually the vacuum will overheat and die.  BUT, I am not really that upset about it. I want a Dyson :)

3 comments:

  1. This is about the same age L&C started having tummy issues, I found an over the counter med at CVS called Little Tummies. I swear by it. It is all natural stuff (ginger mostly, and two other spices you can find in you kitchen). But I still 6 months later keep it with me at all times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome story! So glad you figured out what was hurting her! You are doing great! Felicia and Annabella

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the feeling! When Alex and I were having trouble breastfeeding, we would both cry too, lol. We use Mylicon and Little Tummies too and they are miracle workers. I especially like Little Tummies when Alex has hiccups -- instant cure!

    ReplyDelete